Domestic and family violence is one of the most under-reported crimes in New South Wales to date. Domestic Violence comes in many forms, including emotional and psychological abuse, intimidation, harassment in the form of sexual and physical, abuse targeting pets, property damage and the list goes on.
Children living in a situation where domestic violence occurs are more at risk of being sexually assaulted and the continuation of abuse may have a detrimental impact on the child’s personal health, education, mental state, growth and social development.
Domestic Violence Contacts
Counselling for domestic or family violence is available through the FNC Child and Family program if there is a child in the family under the age 12.
- NSW Domestic Violence line for Women – 1800 65 64 63
- School Counsellors can help young people with access to services
- Mid Coast Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services – offering support, assistance with AVO’s and court support – 6584 0053 OR 0419 938 241
- Domestic Violence police Liaison Officer @ Forster Police Station – (02) 6555 1299
- Men’s referral service (male family violence and perpetrators) – 1300 766 491
In Forster/Tuncurry, Great Lakes Womens Shelter can support with accessing a range of services and assistance: see Support services (glws.org.au) for full list.